Today we are bringing you a chocolate sandwich cake recipe. I’ve had complaints from the kids, that we are not getting through our top 20 bakes for kids recipes fast enough. So I was ordered into the kitchen to bake this cake, which was done with both Jack and Lily. So a real team effort.
The chocolate cake was the one the kids had been really waiting for, and they were both delighted. When I told them that’s what we would be doing.
- 100g butter
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 75g self raising flour
- 25g cocoa powder
For butter cream
- 100g butter
- 225g icing sugar
- 30ml milk
- a few drops of vanilla essence
- Cream butter and sugar together until it has a light and fluffy texture.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, with a table spoon of flour each time.
- Gently fold in remaining flour and cocoa powder, then transfer the mixture to 2 sandwich tins.
- Bake at 180 degrees for 25-30 mins, when finished leave to cool.
For Butter Cream
- Beat Butter until soft.
- Gradually beat in sugar and milk until light and fluffy
- Stir in drops of vanilla essence, to taste.
To finish, take the cakes out of the tin and put the butter cream on one side of one of the cakes. Then put the other cake on top and sandwich together. Finish off with a dusting of icing sugar on top.
For those who like their cake really chocolatey, you can make the buttercream a chocolate cream. And even put the cream on top of the cake as well. We find that way a bit too sickly for our taste, apart from Mum who likes it all chocolate.
I have to say that this chocolate sandwich cake recipe, is probably our favourite so far. It definitely is for the kids, and I have to say I probably agree with them. It was a nice light chocolate taste, not too sickly and went great with a nice cup of tea.
We definitely recommend giving this a try, and that you enjoy it as much as we did. As always, thank you for reading.